Vital Norms: Canguilhem’s "The Normal and the Pathological" in the Twenty-First Century, edited by Pierre-Olivier Méthot
Keywords:Georges Canguilhem, Normality, Illness
Review of Vital Norms: Canguilhem’s The Normal and the Pathological in the Twenty-First Century, edited by Pierre-Olivier Méthot
Braunstein, Jean-François. 2000. “Canguilhem avant Canguilhem.” Revue d’histoire des sciences 53, no. 1: 9–26. https://doi.org/10.3406/rhs.2000.2072.
Canguilhem, Georges. 1978. On the Normal and the Pathological. Dordrecht: Reidel.
———. 2011. Œuvres complètes, tome I: Écrits philosophiques et politiques (1926–1939). Edited by Jean-François Braunstein, Michele Cammelli, and Xavier Roth. Paris: Vrin.
———. 2015. Œuvres complètes, tome IV: Résistance, philosophie biologique et histoire des sciences (1940–1965). Edited by Camille Limoges. Paris: Vrin.
———. 2018. Œuvres complètes, tome V: Histoire des sciences, épistémologie, commémorations (1966–1995). Edited by Camille Limoges. Paris: Vrin.
———. 2019. Œuvres complètes, tome III: Écrits d’histoire des sciences et d’épistémologie. Edited by Camille Limoges. Paris: Vrin.
———. 2021. Œuvres complètes, tome II: Écrits de médecine et de philosophie. Edited by Claude Debru and Anne Fagot-Largeault. Paris: Vrin.
Chimisso, Cristina. 2008. Writing the History of the Mind: Philosophy and Science in France, 1900 to 1960s. Aldershot: Ashgate.
Daled, Pierre-Frédéric. 2021. Le concept d’anomalie chez Georges Canguilhem: Médecine et résistance (1904–1945). Paris: Classiques Garnier.
Elden, Stuart. 2019. Canguilhem. Cambridge: Polity Press.
Grene, Marjorie. 2000. “The Philosophy of Science of Georges Canguilhem: A Transatlantic View.” Revue d’histoire des sciences 53, no. 1: 47–63. https://doi.org/10.3406/rhs.2000.2074.
Hacking, Ian. 1998. “Canguilhem amid the Cyborgs.” Economy and Society 27, no. 2–3: 202–216. https://doi.org/10.1080/03085149800000014.
Lecourt, Dominique. 1969. L’épistémologie historique de Gaston Bachelard. Paris: Vrin.
———. 1972. Pour une critique de l’épistémologie (Bachelard, Canguilhem, Foucault). Paris: Maspero.
Méthot, Pierre-Olivier. 2020. Vital Norms: Canguilhem’s “The Normal and the Pathological” in the Twenty-First Century. Paris: Hermann.
Mol, Annemarie. 1998. “Lived Reality and the Multiplicity of Norms: A Critical Tribute to George Canguilhem.” Economy and Society 27, no. 2–3: 274–284. https://doi.org/10.1080/03085149800000020.
Rose, Nikolas. 1998. “Life, Reason and History: Reading Georges Canguilhem Today.” Economy and Society 27, no. 2–3: 154–170. https://doi.org/10.1080/03085149800000009.
Roth, Xavier. 2013. Georges Canguilhem et l’unité de l’expérience: Juger et agir (1926–1939). Paris: Vrin.
Simons, Massimiliano. 2021. “Synthetic Biology as a Technoscience: The Case of Minimal Genomes and Essential Genes.” Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 85: 127–136. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.SHPSA.2020.09.012.
Talcott, Samuel. 2019. Georges Canguilhem and the Problem of Error. Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan.
Wolfe, Charles. 2011. “From Substantival to Functional Vitalism and Beyond: Animas, Organisms and Attitudes.” Eidos 14: 212–235. http://hdl.handle.net/1854/LU-1935830.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
- The Author agrees to digitally sign the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work.
Research Foundation – Flanders (Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek)
Grant numbers 12J8820N